Re: Stress Testing LAN/WAN

  • From: Brad Fleming
  • Date: Thu Dec 04 18:38:14 2008

With iperf, you can use the -d option to initiate a "real-time parallel" test (my term). You can also use the -r option to run a "trade-off parallel" test (again, my term).

To see the other options iperf offers:
http://pirlwww.lpl.arizona.edu/resources/guide/software/iperf/

Sounds like you might also be interested in the -B option. When coupled with multiple interfaces, you can pretty easily test QoS configs by sourcing from different interfaces / IPs (if that's your identifying characteristic).

KanREN uses iperf on Mac Minis running OSX 10.5 with great results. The newer Minis can pretty easily push 950+Mbps if you run 4 or more streams (-n option). Or at least that has been our experience.

I would also suggest doing some TCP buffer tuning if you anticipate round-trip latency to be >20ms. Here are some general guidelines for various platforms:
http://fasterdata.es.net/TCP-tuning//