Re: cnn.com - Homeland Security seeks cyber counterattack system(Einstein 3.0)

  • From: Matthew Kaufman
  • Date: Mon Oct 06 16:02:44 2008

Matlock, Kenneth L wrote:
"The system "would literally, like an anti-aircraft weapon, shoot down
an attack before it hits its target," he said. "And that's what we call
Einstein 3.0."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't even a basic firewall or ACL
provide the same functionality? Drop the packet, drop the attack? I'm in
the wrong business if implementing a firewall can net me $millions$ by
using appropriate buzzwords.....

It sounds like the first step for such a firewall vendor would be to pay the appropriate license fees for the Einstein name and likeness...

Then a little IP address geo-location coupled to the launch system and you're set. Any collateral damage would be no worse than the sort that's been caused by real anti-aircraft weapons.

Matthew Kaufman
[email protected]
http://www.matthew.at