Re: Public shaming list for ISPs announcing other ISPs IP space by mistake

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Wed Aug 13 16:56:08 2008

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008, Jared Mauch wrote:

these are all issues, but operational? depends. If LLNW is not being filtered by telecom italia, time for 6762 to fix that. If they persist, will you depeer them as a security risk until they clean up their act?

I just discovered (via bgplay) that 22822 first originated the prefix via 5511 (france telecom), then it was withdrawn a while later, and then originated via 6762, and then withdrawn again. An hour or so between these events.

We all know we don't filter our peers (there is no operationally sane way of doing this today), so the question is how to make ISPs filter their customers more sanely.

We have prefix-filters on our customer bgp sessions, so that should be fairly safe, but I see no good way of doing this towards peers as there is no uniform way of doing this, and there is no industry consenus how it should be done.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]