Re: Public shaming list for ISPs announcing other ISPs IP space by mistake

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Wed Aug 13 16:52:53 2008

On Aug 13, 2008, at 4:48 PM, Jared Mauch wrote:
On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 10:04:27PM +0200, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

The italian courts seem to have told ISPs there to block ThePirateBay
(bittorrent tracker), and this evening (CET) LLNW (AS22822) originated
88.80.6.0/24 via 6762 (telecom italia) to what I presume is most of
Europe.

Basically same thing that happened when people tried to block YouTube a
few months back (afghanistan?).

How do we hinder this in the short term? I know there are a lot of long
term solutions that very few is implementing, but would the fact that
these mistakes are brought up into the (lime)light by a public shaming
list make ISPs shape up and perform less mistakes?

I am still waiting for a response from LLNW NOC on the issue.

Sure. I'd also like to see providers actually just shut off customers that originate stuff like ms-sql slammer packets still. But it keeps flowing. I'm sure there are smurf amps and other badness still going. codered anyone?

these are all issues, but operational? depends.

I beg to differ, this is absolutely operational.

If LLNW is not being filtered by telecom italia, time for
6762 to fix that.  If they persist, will you depeer them
as a security risk until they clean up their act?

De-peering won't help if someone is propagating it as a transit customer route. Filtering the prefix is all you can do.

--
TTFN,
patrick

P.S. Obligatory BCP38 shout-out, even though it's not exactly on- point. :-)

	I'm still amazed at the AS_PATHs that appear
out there and the providers that can't figure out how to
route.

	Why AS174 would listen to 3549 routes from AS12713
is beyond me, but it's there.[1]

221.134.222.0/24 1280 174 12713 3549 2914 9498 9583

- jared

1 - http://puck.nether.net/bgp/leakinfo.cgi
 - http://puck.nether.net/bgp/stats.cgi?days=3

--
Jared Mauch | pgp key available via finger from [email protected]
clue++; | http://puck.nether.net/~jared/ My statements are only mine.