Re: maybe a dumb idea on how to fix the dns problems i don't know....

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Sat Aug 09 18:16:05 2008

On 9 Aug 2008, at 18:10, Matt F wrote:

Why not just require TCP for a lookup if a response with an incorrect TXID is received? You could require TCP for just the one lookup or for some configured interval, say 1 hour. That should slow attackers down substantially.

That sounds like a good way for a remote attacker to make a resolver disable UDP transport for a server, more or less at will. I'm not sure I like the sound of that.

Joe