Re: DNS attacks evolve

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Sat Aug 09 18:23:50 2008

[email protected] (Joe Greco) writes:

> I am very, very, very disheartened to be shown to be wrong.  As if 8 days
> wasn't bad enough, a concentrated attack has been shown to be effective in
> 10 hours.  See http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/09/technology/09flaw.html

that's what theory predicted.  guessing a 30-or-so-bit number isn't "hard."

> With modern data rates being what they are, I believe that this is still a
> severe operational hazard, and would like to suggest a discussion of further
> mitigation strategies.

i have two gripes here.  first, can we please NOT use the [email protected] mailing
list as a workshop for discussing possible DNS spoofing mitigation
strategies?  [email protected] already has a running gun battle
on that topic, and [email protected] would be appropriate.

but unless we're going to talk about deploying BCP38, which would be the
mother of all mitigations for DNS spoofing attacks, it's offtopic on [email protected]

second, please think carefully about the word "severe".  any time someone
can cheerfully hammer you at full-GigE speed for 10 hours, you've got some
trouble, and you'll need to monitor for those troubles.  11 seconds of
10MBit/sec fit my definition of "severe".  10 hours at 1000MBit/sec doesn't.
--
Paul Vixie

believed to be clean.