Re: EC2 and GAE means end of ip address reputation industry? (Re: Intrustion attempts from Amazon EC2 IPs)

  • From: Patrick Giagnocavo
  • Date: Mon Jun 23 09:52:09 2008

Paul Vixie wrote:

my argument doesn't get that far, actually.  i think there will be no outages
because recipients of abuse won't feel that they can afford to toss out the
good with the bad in this particular case.  which is going to remind of me
tom lehrer's quip, "feels like a christian scientist with appendicitis" once
an EC2 customer instance gets infected with malware that then ddos's somebody.

What has been missing from this entire thread, is the input/experiences of those who are actually using EC2 to run their web sites.

If you look at places where people are actually running EC2 in either testing or production, you will find that they are concerned about legitimate email from their EC2 instances actually reaching their customers.

See for instance, the many EC2 threads on Paul Graham's "Hacker News" site at http://news.ycombinator.com (best to use Google to search the site probably).

What I think would/should happen is that EC2 is never assumed to be a legitimate source of email; and any EC2 instance that sends email will instead be relaying through a non-EC2 mail server.

Cordially

Patrick