Re: Intrustion attempts from Amazon EC2 IPs

  • From: Jon Lewis
  • Date: Sun Jun 22 11:09:19 2008

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008, Paul Kelly :: Blacknight wrote:

Have any of you recently noticed a lot of ssh scanning coming from amazons EC "cloud" IP blocks?

Today alone I've seen approx 4m attempts from EC2 IPs on just 20 nodes on our network.

That's not too surprising, since any unix-like system that gets compromised can make a handy platform for extending the hacker's collection.

Has anyone any experience with Amazons abuse people?

Yeah, if you can call them that. There is no abuse coming from Amazon's EC2 cluster. I got the impression the only thing Amazon considers abuse is use of their servers and not paying the bill. If you're a paying customer, you can do whatever you like.

 Jon Lewis                   |  I route
 Atlantic Net                |