Re: "Does TCP Need an Overhaul?" (internetevolution, via slashdot)

  • From: Marcin Cieslak
  • Date: Tue Apr 08 19:13:13 2008
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=simple/simple; d=saper.info; s=Mar2008; t=1207696257; bh=muV9egdfEmTplNSFOJ/9H+Lgv7gFlClLPNundQ9niz4=; h=Message-ID:Date:From:User-Agent:MIME-Version:To:Subject: References:In-Reply-To:X-Enigmail-Version:OpenPGP:Content-Type; b=YYExdEmfjvhldm2Ns44c+UuEsnqXwT7JCrS63jsgCL4d/x968GwHbcIq08J1Lpvri uY7rzN657k7l1BvNnNCVtpo2JCj/2P86G9sAR35GrdXnK7ODUpbZEmIA68QvwvbPM94 1vYn8Cq6DY0BTWNYMyZ2yVH7FQ0DBFp8Lod+wlw=

Mike Gonnason wrote:

This might have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but has anyone
read the paper by Bob Briscoe titled "Flow Rate Fairness:Dismantling a
Religion"? http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/bbriscoe/projects/2020comms/refb/draft-briscoe-tsvarea-fair-02.pdf
The paper essentially describes the fault in TCP congestion avoidance
and how P2P applications leverage that flaw to consume as much
bandwidth as possible. He also proposes that we redefine the mechanism
we use to determine "fair" resource consumption.

Any thoughts regarding this?

The problem is that fairness was probably never a design goal of TCP, even with Van Jacobson's congestion avoidance patch.

Bob Briscoe is a member of the IETF Transport Working Group (TSVWG).

This subject got some publicity and politics involved, but please see some real discussion on the TSVWG list, with my favorite answer highlighted:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.tsvwg/5184/focus=5199

I recommend some neighboring threads as well:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.tsvwg/5197/focus=5214
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.tsvwg/5205

--
              << Marcin Cieslak // [email protected] >>