Re: YouTube IP Hijacking

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Mon Feb 25 02:31:23 2008

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
How about state-of-the-art routing security?

The problem is what is the actual trust model?

Are you trusting some authority to not be malicious or never make a mistake?

There are several answers to the malicious problem.

There are fewer answers to never making a mistake problem.

The state of the art routing security proposals let the "trusted" securely make mistakes. At one time or another, I think every router vendor, every
ASN operator, every RIR, and so on has made a mistake at some time.

Yeah, I know some of those mistakes may have actually been malicious, but
so far the mistakes have outnumbered the malicious.

If someone comes up with the anti-mistake routing protocol ...