Re: v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

  • From: Christopher Morrow
  • Date: Wed Jan 02 15:41:44 2008
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; bh=ZWISaPOvCeKriMsgn0BCM5UedbGkR0jny0J9cK2dVmY=; b=op4Sh1xAPLeevOpwOdNsMw7krv7o5GpVlU3GmicMTeS5Cmph9IRQct+/ms8szZg/qULaFecoi5DCk1cQz5zoUgfxvLPn0jVgTiWoUUF/c3mGuqbdKZpYax/GGUfrDxzi24LnD0N5XC5oRndBRor75XvbRMPBJL8d8LFr+SbStjU=
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=R5qZxNpM46FMolmpoFFhe3QD4xmXOND7U4VtuZ7+Vx18FcErWEEzv4MiNlc9T64baSUS7pu/82W8B8drdivstPAH04WEzHMhEz7FhohEpjIHDPcCgLf/KSdKQOjZrp7JbwHgLKO9EvAKMxQpQpgBlS/33FBghsK5dJzRIzxOU3I=

On Jan 2, 2008 1:05 PM, Joe Abley <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 2-Jan-2008, at 10:21, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
>
> > On 2 jan 2008, at 6:42, Christopher Morrow wrote:
> >
> >> out of curiousity how is this sort of thing supposed to be done in
> >> v6?
> >> (traffic engineering given the '1 prefix per ISP' standard mantra)
> >
> > AS path prepending, local preference, that kind of thing...
>
> Common practice with IPv4 seems to suggest that those knobs aren't
> sufficient in real life; people still find it necessary to carve up
> their aggregates and announce more-specifics in strategic directions.
> I would suggest that not *all* observed instances of such
> deaggregation are due to operator ignorance :-)

I think this goes back to my point about DHCP, today there is a
business practice and set of business requirements that work for a
host of reasons. Expecting that in v6 these requirements will
evaporate is not wise. There will have to be some useful TE knobs, I
think the operations community would probably like to see those knobs
NOT be 'deaggragate' so what other options are there for someone with
a single prefix (especially when that prefix is very large).

-chris