Re: v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Wed Jan 02 13:07:23 2008

On 2-Jan-2008, at 10:21, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

On 2 jan 2008, at 6:42, Christopher Morrow wrote:

out of curiousity how is this sort of thing supposed to be done in v6?
(traffic engineering given the '1 prefix per ISP' standard mantra)

AS path prepending, local preference, that kind of thing...

Common practice with IPv4 seems to suggest that those knobs aren't sufficient in real life; people still find it necessary to carve up their aggregates and announce more-specifics in strategic directions. I would suggest that not *all* observed instances of such deaggregation are due to operator ignorance :-)

I imagine that the same practice will continue (is continuing?) with IPv6, to the extent that peoples' bogon filters allow it to have any practical effect.

Joe