Re: Postmaster Operator List?

  • From: Steve Atkins
  • Date: Fri Nov 16 14:29:48 2007

On Nov 16, 2007, at 10:50 AM, Jim Popovitch wrote:

On Fri, 2007-11-16 at 22:13 +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
On Nov 16, 2007 10:04 PM, Leigh Porter <[email protected]> wrote:

If there was, I sure would not join it. It'd be full of "I cannot send
mail to your domain blah blah"

Been to a MAAWG meeting yet? Or been on one such list?

There's a lot more interesting and useful / operationally relevant
stuff that goes on.

<rant>
From www.maawg.org: "Your company must be a member of this organization
for you to gain access to the members area of this site"

Well, yes. That's why it's called the "members area". There's a bunch of
information there that is not in the "members area" (as well as some that
should be, but isn't, IMO but what can you do?).

Ok, so it's still a good-ole-boys club. Interestingly enough, a lot of
the names on the "approved" companies are some of the ones that can't
very effectively control inbound/outbound spam from their net blocks.
How long has MAAWG been in existence? Has email Abuse gotten better or
worse?

All of which is covered on the maawg website, IIRC, should you want to look, rather than rant.

Perhaps if they weren't so exclusive....
</rant>

It being slightly exclusive keeps the idiots out, and reduces the "I cannot send
mail to your domain blah blah" to a negligible level. It's only about $3k / year to be
a corporate member, so it's not that high a bar to any company that actually
cares about email.

If you want a forum solely about email operations that's open to any idiot with
a mail client, you risk attracting all sorts of nutjobs on all sides of the spam / filtering
issue. If you limit it to operators, you'll attract the subset of those nutjobs who also
claim to be operators. You'll certainly attract a lot of write-only traffic of the "I cannot
send mail to..." mentioned above too.

Cheers,
  Steve