Re: windows update cache

  • From: Seth Mattinen
  • Date: Fri Sep 28 13:16:47 2007

Adrian Chadd wrote:
On Fri, Sep 28, 2007, Seth Mattinen wrote:

Great if you're running a windows IT type LAN; crap if you're running an
ISP!
Why? It talks TCP/IP.

How's it find the WSUS server again?

Key Name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

Value 0
  Name:            WUServer
  Type:            REG_SZ
  Data:            http://secret.server:8530

Value 1
  Name:            WUStatusServer
  Type:            REG_SZ
  Data:            http://secret.server:8530

Works for me at $dayjob without AD and I don't need to play with weird solutions. (Disclaimer: I am not a windows expert, it's my weak point actually, so I have no idea if this is portable, I'm just saying it uses standard TCP/IP to talk to WSUS.)

~Seth