Re: windows update cache

  • From: Adrian Chadd
  • Date: Fri Sep 28 12:24:45 2007

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007, Joe Johnson wrote:

> Windows Software Update Services doesn't require the end-user to be part
> of a domain to get updates. You just need to define the WSUS server as
> the source for updates by changing a few registry entries and make sure
> the server is available via HTTP or HTTPS to your customers. You can
> read more at Microsoft's site.
>
> Also, WSUS is free to run on any Windows server.

Great if you're running a windows IT type LAN; crap if you're running an
ISP!

http://www.advproxy.net/ - its a Squid distribution for ipcop with an
optional Windows update cache redirector. I don't know how well it'll scale
but it seems to work fine for small home/office environments.

You can always get an Akamai cluster :) That'll serve windows updates
to you, amongst other things.

That said, I know how to make Squid properly cache stuff like Windows Updates;
I just need some spare time over the new year to code it up. Sponsorship to
make it happen sooner is definitely welcome.

Adrian
(One of the remaining public Squid developers.)