Re: [policy] When Tech Meets Policy...

  • From: Carl Karsten
  • Date: Mon Aug 13 17:04:52 2007

Chris L. Morrow wrote:

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007, Steve Atkins wrote:
On Aug 13, 2007, at 11:03 AM, Chris L. Morrow wrote:
So, to be clear folks want to make it much more difficult for
grandma-jones to return the typo'd: mygramdkids.com for
mygrandkids.com
right?
If grandma-jones orders custom stationery and doesn't
manage to spell her name correctly, she'll end up with
misspelled stationery. The main difference is that
a misspelled domain name is likely to be a much cheaper
mistake than misspelled stationery.

I picked on example, there have been plenty of examples in the past of folks just barely able to come up with 7$/yr for domain registration and using donated hosting for their non-profit thing. I think the root isue is: there is consumer protection today in the purchase system, do we want to remove that in the future. Or do we want to find another method to crack down on this problem without hurting consumers?

Assuming a change takes place (which I doubt, but will ignore) I bet a small non refundable fee (like $1) would drastically reduce the problem.

Carl K