Re: Where did freeipdb IP utility site go?

  • From: Andrew Sullivan
  • Date: Fri Jul 27 14:27:21 2007

On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 12:40:59PM -0400, Barry Shein wrote:

> I know postgresql has an ipv6 type but I was hoping for something more
> portable.

I am a PostgreSQL weenie, I admit, but if you can at all use it, I
strongly suggest you use the inet and cidr datatypes in PostgreSQL for
this.  Alternatives often give up the data rigour that you get from a
datatype.  Portability is often a target that forces you to give up
all the nice features that you got when you chose your RDBMS.

I suppose in other systems, you could put a trigger on a varchar() or
whatever field that would validate the address on the way in.  That's
what I'd do if I had to give up the datatype.

<[email protected]>                              M2P 2A8
jabber: [email protected]                 +1 416 646 3304 x4110