Re: Routing public traffic across county boundaries in Europe

  • From: Scott Weeks
  • Date: Fri Jul 27 14:31:36 2007

--- [email protected] wrote:

> What (if any) are the legal implications of taking internet destined
> traffic in one country and egressing it in another (with an ip block
> correctly marked for the correct country).
>
> Somebody mentioned to me the other day that they thought the Dutch
> government didn't allow an ISP to take internet traffic from a Dutch
> citizen and egress in another country because it makes it easy for the
> local country to snoop.
>

> That's funny.  I've always thought of the internet as a global, borderless entity where ideas and information are shared without restraint.  Perhaps it's time to whap the gov't with a clue bat?
>
> scott

Yes, but laws dictate that not all information can be shared without
restraint. The EU, for example, has laws preventing the export of
personal information to countries deemed to have weaker privacy
protection laws.

Who has to stop this information from transversing countries?  ISPs?  It seems really strange that folks are required to stop this when stuff like SSL and all makes it a little hard to do so...

scott