Re: Interesting new dns failures

  • From: Chris L. Morrow
  • Date: Mon May 21 10:29:02 2007

On Mon, 21 May 2007 [email protected] wrote:

> On Mon, 21 May 2007 10:38:56 -0000, [email protected] said:
> > 	if you can get concensus to remove .com, i'm sure the roots would
> > 	be willing to help out.
>
> Whose bright idea *was* it to design a tree-hierarchical structure, and then
> dump essentially all 140 million entries under the same node, anyhow? :)
>
> I'll bet a large pizza that 90% or more could be relocated to a more
> appropriate location in the DNS tree, and nobody except the domain holder
> and less than a dozen other people will notice/care in the slightest. Now

There's an interesting read from NRIC about this problem: "Signposts on
the information superhighway" I think it's called. Essentially no one
aside from propeller-head folks understand that there is something aside
from 'com' :( take, for example, discussions inside the company formerly
known as uunet about email addresses: "Yes, you can email me at
[email protected]", "uunet.com?", "no, uu.net", "uu.net.com?", "nope, just
uu.net". Admittedly it was with sales/marketting folks, but still :(

I wonder how the .de or .uk folks see things? Is the same true elsewhere?

-Chris