Re: ISP CALEA compliance

  • From: Jack Bates
  • Date: Thu May 10 16:26:48 2007

Jason Frisvold wrote:

Here's a question that's come up around here.  Does a CALEA intercept
include "hairpining" or is it *only* traffic leaving your network?
I'm of the opinion that a CALEA intercept request includes every bit
of traffic being sent or received by the targeted individual, but
there is strong opposition here that thinks only internet-related
traffic counts.

IANAL... The law does include "hairpining", however, the conference we went to last week on CALEA gave us a lot of insight. The LEAs we talked to were interested in us working with them. They understand that the mandate requires some things that are technically infeasible or so cost prohibitive as to mandate abandoning broadband all together. For example, how do you tap a "customer" that is in a cyber cafe? How do you handle "hairpining" on a wireless bridge? There is entire DSLAM infrastructure out there that has no filtering capabilities and the closest one could tap is leaving the DSLAM, but not traffic between customers on the same DSLAM. In general, they seemed to be happy if we could get traffic isolated down to a town level, and just do the best we could to assist in meeting the traffic tap.

Jack Bates