Re: Blocking mail from bad places

  • From: Matthew Black
  • Date: Wed Apr 04 17:47:10 2007

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 08:46:33 -0700 Ken Simpson <[email protected]> wrote: [...snip]
Captchas apparently help quite a bit to stem this kind of problem
because they install a technical barrier that, while not impossible to
break through programatically, at least delays things a bit and
reduces the ROI for the spammer.

Regards,
Ken

--
Ken Simpson, CEO
MailChannels Corporation

Captchas are all fine and dandy but they are not ADA compliant and certainly a no-no for government or public agencies. Don't believe me? Accessibility issues (Section 508) will be the next Y2K obstacle for IT folks because all of our future software purchases require that the software is accessible. Within the next 18 months we'll have to provide a VPAT [example: http://www.section508.nasa.gov/vpat3.htm] for all software purchases. If your company doesn't know about these yet kiss goodbye to all your government customers.

As for catching spam and viruses we gave up on open-source
solutions a long time ago in favor of IronPort appliances.
These products negate almost 100% of your effort in maintaining
greylists or rulesets. You have plenty of choices out there with
very different approaches and you can bet the top-tier companies
like MailChannels, IronPort, and Mirapoint (among others) have
something to make your life easier.

matthew black network services california state university, long beach 1250 bellflower boulevard long beach, ca 90840-0101