Re: Blocking mail from bad places

  • From: Ken Simpson
  • Date: Wed Apr 04 11:51:43 2007

> Some of it is quite sophisticated: full blown "instant" profiles with
> fake comments ... the smarter spammers actually make the profile look
> real (often lifting material from legit user profiles), and then
> just ...

At the MIT Spam Conference, I was talking to MySpace's anti spam
researcher. He said that they see many profiles that look totally
legit and which have been carefully nurtured for more than six months
-- and then the formally legit profile suddenly becomes the drop site
for a Phishing campaign or other spam repository.

Captchas apparently help quite a bit to stem this kind of problem
because they install a technical barrier that, while not impossible to
break through programatically, at least delays things a bit and
reduces the ROI for the spammer.

Regards,
Ken

--