Re: On-going Internet Emergency and Domain Names

  • From: David Conrad
  • Date: Mon Apr 02 21:46:04 2007

On Apr 1, 2007, at 8:45 AM, Gadi Evron wrote:
On Sun, 1 Apr 2007, David Conrad wrote:
On Mar 31, 2007, at 8:44 PM, Gadi Evron wrote:
I'm not clear what "this realm" actually is.
Abuse and Security (non infrastructure).

Well, ICANN is supposed to look after the "security and stability" of the Internet, which is sufficiently vague and ambiguous to cover pretty much anything. I was actually looking for something a bit more concrete.

The one concrete suggestion I've seen is to induce a delay in zone creation and publish a list of newly created names within the zone. The problem with this is that is sort of assumes:

a) the registries all work on similar timescales
b) that timescale is on the order of a day
c) ICANN has a mechanism to induce the registries to make changes to those timescales
d) making changes along these lines would be what end users actually want.

Of these options:

- (a) isn't true (by observation)
- (b) is currently true for com/net, but I don't expect that to last -- I've heard there is a lot of competitive pressure on the registries to be faster in doing zone modifications
- (c) I don't think is true now for even those TLDs ICANN has a contractual relationship with and is highly unlikely to ever be true for the vast majority of TLDs
- (d) probably isn't true, given lots of people complain about how long it takes to get zone changes done now and I believe registries are working to reduce the amount of time significantly due to customer demand.

Even if a delay were imposed, I'm not sure I see how this would actually help as I would assume it would require folks to actually look at the list of newly created domains and discriminate between the ones that were created for good and the ones created for ill. How would one do this?

Rgds,
-drc

P.S. I should point out that IANA has only glancing interaction with the registry/registrar world, so I'm working from a large amount of ignorance here. Fortunately, being ignorant rarely stops me... :-)