Re: Phishing and BGP Blackholing

  • From: Stephen Satchell
  • Date: Tue Jan 02 23:26:47 2007

[email protected] wrote:

Then there's the whole trust issue - though the Team Cymru guys do an awesome
job doing the bogon feed, it's rare that you have to suddenly list a new
bogon at 2AM on a weekend.  And there's guys that *are* doing a good job
at tracking down and getting these sites mitigated, they prefer to get the
sites taken down at the source.  I'm not sure they would *want* to be trying
to do a BGP feed.

As an operator of a large collections of Web hosting sites, I appreciate the work of those guys who track down sites and send alerts. I can then surgically remove the offending phishing sites quickly. When a customer does the sites (and I've had a few of those) I usually find multiple phishing payload sites...and the account is so closed so quickly that the perps don't even have time to fetch the data they collected.

The champaionship record is nine payload-sites for different phishing targets.