Re: Phishing and BGP Blackholing

  • From: Mark Foster
  • Date: Tue Jan 02 23:48:58 2007

I have to ask.

The 'stock' disclaimer message says 'may'.

It also says 'If you are not the intended recipient...'

Key words - 'if' and 'may'.

Since the post is being made to NANOG, we can assume the NANOG Audience (defined as anyone whos on the list _or_ who can read the web archive; ala; everyone) is infact the intended recipient, and we can ignore the rest of it.

... so I fail to see why a big deal should be made out of it. Especially when they're generally enforced on large companies by their lawyers, and the Network Operators likely have very little to do with it.

So why the big deal?

(Personally I still vote for the use of non-corporate mail addresses on mailing lists. Tends to filter out the roge out-of-office notices too...)

Mark.