Re: Broadband ISPs taxed for "generating light energy"

  • From: Gregory Hicks
  • Date: Wed Oct 11 14:51:12 2006

> Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 14:16:05 -0400
> From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email protected]>
>
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 13:57:17 -0400, Joseph S D Yao
<[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> > On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 11:36:41AM -0400, Joe Loiacono wrote:
> > > Notice the date: October 10. That is the Indian equivalent of our
April 1.

> > Ah.  Culture clash.  Therefore the story can be relegated to the
same
> > coop as the IP-carrying pigeons.
> >
> > The sole justification for asking this is to help us all remember
this
> > for any further similar postings that might otherwise cause lengthy
and
> > weighty discussions on something so lightweight.
> >
> > Why is 10 October their 01 April?
> >
> It's 10/10, which if viewed as the binary number 1010 is 10 base 10.
> Surely that has to mean something!  (Well, I just made it up, but it
> sounds goodd....)

My wife (Korean) tole me yesterday that the past weekend was "Chusok"
(or Korean 'Thanksgiving' - Actually, the Harvest Festival)...  So
maybe India has something similar...?

> 		--Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems                  | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 9B1
San Jose, CA 95134

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin