renumbering & IPv6

  • From: David Barak
  • Date: Wed Sep 13 16:51:38 2006

--- David Conrad <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have been told on numerous occasions that one of
> the reasons IPv6
> has not seen significant deployment is because
> enterprises do not
> want to obtain their address space from their
> service provider due to
> (among other reasons) the cost of renumbering.

The reasons I have been told by enterprises regarding
lack of IPv6 deployment boil down to 1) lack of
business driver (i.e. does it make money?) and 2)
many/most medium-large enterprises neither qualify for
PI addressing nor would be able to multihome using PA
addressing.

Issue #2 is being worked on now, but until a policy is
securely in place, an enterprise adopting IPv6 is
giving up capabilities they have today with IPv4.

> Are you indicating you believe that renumbering is
> not an issue?

Renumbering is not THE issue.  Renumbering sucks.
However, there are policies in place to make it so
that renumbering doesn't have to happen too much.
Also, once renumbering is at the "really unpleasant"
point, that's when an organization generally qualifies
for PI space.  Renumbering IP space is no different
than renumbering postal addresses - the time spent to
do so varies directly with the size of the
organization, but it doesn't have to be done often.

BTW, the telephone analogy folks have been missing
here is that of the 8xx system, where the numbers
themselves are leased due to intrinsic value, and then
redirected to a different inbound trunk/call
center/whatever.

The 8xx system is the one which maps to domain names,
not the standard land-line system.  Note that 8xx
numbers are not purchased, they are leased, as they
consume resources - if 1-800-FLOWERS didn't pay their
bill for a while, their whole business would vanish.

Perhaps a customer who wanted to make IP addresses
"portable" would pay a fee to the ISP whose addresses
they are, and maintain redirection equipment to the
"real" IPs...  And perhaps the price of doing so would
actually be higher than just keeping a T1 to that
first provider...

-David

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise: