Re: Sitefinder II, the sequel...

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Thu Jul 13 11:21:48 2006

On Jul 13, 2006, at 10:48 AM, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

That said, no one has yet said why it is necessary, or even
desirable, to have a completely homogenous view of the world.

I'd use one example reason of why: "Customer Service issues"

Thanx, Chris, I was waiting for someone to give this answer. (And I couldn't figure out why no one had! :)

I don't really have a good answer. I'm not sure it's a HUUUUUUGE problem, but I can see the argument.

Perhaps someone associated with the service can give a better answer?

In general inconsistency is troubling to folks, I think, and in recursive
DNS it's especially difficult to see as 'good' since that 'service' is not
universal (not all owned/operated by one entity). In the case of
authoritative DNS though, you are (or anyone, not just Patrick) free to
goof with responses as you (or anyone) see's fit... you are afterall
'authoritative' for the record. In the recursive land it may be viewed as
'rude' or 'out of spec' (perhaps this is paul's issue?) to fake answers
to questions.

Is it? If you type "fobar" and the domain does not exist, is it rude to return foobar? Or is it helpful?

As a purist, I can see saying that's wrong. As a user, they like easy. Hell, most of them us Windows & Outlook, so they clearly don't care about things like "standards". Since they pay our bills, should we listen to them?

Can someone show the Internet is going to collapse, or at least be harmed, by being "rude" in this way?

--
TTFN,
patrick