Re: WSJ: Big tech firms seeking power

  • From: Crist Clark
  • Date: Fri Jun 16 18:40:48 2006

>>> On 6/16/2006 at 2:24 PM, Alex Rubenstein <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jun 2006, Matthew Crocker wrote:
>

>>> I wonder just how much power it takes to cool 450,000 servers.
>>
>> 450,000 servers * 100 Watts/Server = 45,000,000 watts / 3.413
watts/BTU =
>> 13.1 Million BTU / 12000 BTU/Ton = 1100 Tons of cooling
>
> Error: you MULTIPLY 3.413 to go from watts to BTU, not divide. It's
be
> more like 154,000,000 BTU, /12000 or 12,798 tons.

Well, the bigger problem here is that a watt is a measure of
power (engergy/time) and a BTU is a unit of energy. There is no
dimensionless conversion factor between the two.
--

Crist J. Clark
[email protected]

B�information contained in this e-mail message is confidential, intended
only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader
of this e-mail is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent
responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
in error, please contact [email protected]