Re: WSJ: Big tech firms seeking power

  • From: Michael Loftis
  • Date: Fri Jun 16 18:33:22 2006

--On June 16, 2006 5:24:27 PM -0400 Alex Rubenstein <[email protected]> wrote:

But wait, there is more. Just a point of comparison -- Oyster Creek
Nuclear Power generation plant, located here on the Jersey Shore,
produces 636 megawatts. You'd take one-tenth of that capacity -- in a
bulding that would sit on a 10 or 20 acre chunk of land. I put this into
the 'unlikely' category. The substation alone to handle stepping 68
mwatts from transmission to 480v would be probably 4 acres. And, 68
megawatts of power at 480 volts 81,888 amps. A typicall 200,000 sq-ft
multi-tenant office building has 1600 amps of service; this would be the
equivalent of 50 buildings.

Having fun yet?
I happen to know that a very large power line project was just finished in that area :) (I have family that works for the company that did the job). It's a huge amount of power that's for sure. I'm not sure what the exact route was, nor the endpoint right now, but when I did ask him at the time it didn't make sense....Now it might. I'll talk to him again.