Re: And Now.... Data Retention. Enjoy!

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Sat May 27 05:13:26 2006

On Fri, 26 May 2006, Alain Hebert wrote:

Around here we're talking about only 70,000 DVD. I see a way to mirror each pipe into a device capable of compressing it real time to disks and then spew DVD...
Here in europe officials deny that their intention ever was to have telcos actually record calls and/or internet traffic and save it for 2 years. They want to have metadata such as radius login logs, dhcp logs, MTA logs, web server logs etc saved for 2 years, not the actual contents of email, web traffic etc. They would of course love to have netflow/sflow logs but that's going to be a hard sell since a lot of equipment out there do not support it.

Some politicians have made statements that might be interpreted that they want actual content saved, but when asked I have usually ended upp with that it's only metadata that needs to be saved. This is often done 6 months anyway, so I don't see it as a major hassle to save it 24 months instead. The interesting part is the "collission" with the Electronic Commerce law in EU that states that data for privacy reasons should never be saved longer than absolutely neccessary for billing.

The EU data retention directive is in the implementation phase so we still do not know the actual implemented law yet (at least not here in Sweden).

--
Mikael Abrahamsson email: [email protected]