Re: Honest Cogent opinions without rhetoric.

  • From: Matthew Crocker
  • Date: Wed Mar 08 15:08:57 2006

On Mar 8, 2006, at 9:35 AM, Daniel Golding wrote:
One way to look at this is that you are getting a very low price per mbps
with Cogent. Therefore, when Cogent's CEO decides its in his best interest
to partition for a week over a depeering situation, their customer's role is
to suck it up. You get what you pay for, and in this case, that means
mediocre to average transit with periodic partitioning. Frankly, for the
price, that's pretty darn good.
My biggest complaint about Cogent 'Customer Service' is that I'm not a Cogent customer, I'm a Verio customer that was sold to Cogent. I'm still paying the higher Verio bandwidth price but getting the 'not as good' Cogent bandwidth. When Cogent decides to depeer is affects me and I would like credits. Either that or cancel my Verio priced contact and replace it with a Cogent priced contact. If they did that, I wouldn't mind the occasional depeering. Trying to explain that to my sales guy with impossible.

If your choice is between Cogent and some other provider, you are making a
mistake. Cogent (and other low cost transit providers) can be part of a
balanced stable of transit providers. Folks who single-home to Cogent
deserve whatever Darwin delivers to them.
That is why I also have 3 providers, just in case 2 of them decide they don't like each other.

Anyone out there running a RouteScience/Internap box on some Cogent + other provider bandwidth? How many routes get moved off/onto Cogent?

--
Matthew S. Crocker
Vice President