Re: shim6 @ NANOG (forwarded note from John Payne)

  • From: Marshall Eubanks
  • Date: Fri Mar 03 15:38:09 2006

On Mar 3, 2006, at 5:55 AM, Kurt Erik Lindqvist wrote:

On 2 mar 2006, at 06.16, Kevin Day wrote:

No, I'm just trying to be practical here... Estimates of IPv4 pool exhaustion range from Mid 2008 (Tony Hain's ARIN presentation) to roughly 2012 (Geoff Huston's ARIN presentation). Sooner if a mad dash for space starts happening (or isn't happening already).

Does anyone here really believe that there is time for:
So what I think we might need (that I wrote in an internet-draft some years ago) is the following things in exactly this order :

0. PI space with an artifically high barrier on entry yet available when needed (read cost+administration=LIR or equiv.).
1. Ducttape ala shim6
2. One of breakthrough in graph-theory or a completely new addressing/routing paradigm. Most like the latter.

I will bet anyone reading this $ 20 USD right now that what will actually happen is
the development of a spot market in IPv4 address space.

Regards
Marshall

That will take us past IPv4 exhaustion+IPv6 initial deployment, through wider uptake through to the 10-15 years from now when we might have an idea of what 2 is. I used to believe that it would take 10 years to deploy a standardised version of a stack change, I must say I changing my mind and I am starting to agree with however said that we just need to wait for the next <insert favourite OS> major security hole+patch.

- kurtis -