Re: a radical proposal (Re: protocols that don't meet the need...)

  • From: Andre Oppermann
  • Date: Wed Feb 15 16:23:11 2006

Edward B. DREGER wrote:
PJ> Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 20:46:33 +0000 (GMT)
PJ> From: Paul Jakma

PJ> Well you don't need to assign an ASN for Cox and SBC to announce a shared
PJ> prefix for a start off.

Technically true, but administratively not feasible. Coordinating private ASNs would be similar to coordining RFC1918 space between different entities, although it's definitely a nice goal.
I'd say you already fail at coordinating Cox and SBC before any link
is up and prefixes get announced.  I bet they can't even agree on which
of them writes the prefix and ASN application to ARIN.

$realworld always wins.

--
Andre