Re: GoDaddy.com shuts down entire data center?

  • From: Bill Nash
  • Date: Tue Jan 17 15:27:14 2006

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Matt Ghali wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Robert E.Seastrom wrote:

 The first and second paragraphs are sane.  The last paragraph gives Go
 Daddy the right to capriciously and arbitrarily delete your domain for
 any reason they wish ("Morally objectionable activities will include,
 but not be limited to...")
Do you believe that your philosophical objections to the language absolves you as a customer from the minimal due dilligence of knowing what you are agreeing to?

Find me a registrar that DOESN'T have that kind of language in their user agreements, then tell me if anyone wishing to do any kind of e-commerce has a choice.

I've gone off on a tear about this before: A registrar has a license to print money. Boilerplate user agreements that leave the user zero recourse are the standard. I haven't seen a registrar yet that doesn't have this kind of verbiage completely freeing them from liability for *any* action taken on a domain registration, including none.

- billn