Re: oh k can you see

  • From: Daniel Karrenberg
  • Date: Mon Nov 07 07:02:50 2005

We have considered the options carefully and decided to announce a
covering /23 to get around the problem spotted by Randy and the folks in
Oregon.  We considered the /24+/25 soloution but decided against that
because it makes little sense when we are considering to eventually
remove as much of the BG cleverness as possible.

See the attached announcement for details.

Thanks to all people who took the time to make suggestions either
privately or on list(s).

This was both operational and useful. ;-)

Daniel
--- Begin Message ---
Dear Colleagues,

As you probably know, the RIPE NCC have been deploying two types of
anycast mirror instances of K-root server: global nodes and so-called
local nodes, intended to serve only a local ISP community. To limit
propagation of the K-root prefix for the local nodes we are using a
NO_EXPORT community.

Unfortunately this may lead to a situation when some of multihomed
networks don't see K-root prefix at all, even for a global node. For
more detailed description see
http://www.merit.edu/mailinglist/mailarchives/old_archive/msg13358.html. Thank you,
Randy, for spotting this.

This is not specific to anycast and has never appeared to be
particularly widespread.

To remedy this problem we plan to start announcing a covering prefix
193.0.14.0/23 from AS25152 from our global node to our peers at AMS-IX
without the NO_EXPORT community.

We will announce the covering prefix at 10:00 UTC on Thursday, 10th
November 2005. In parallel we will be monitoring and measuring changes
in traffic distribution for further analysis. We will then proceed with
other global nodes.

Regards,

Andrei Robachevsky
RIPE NCC