Re: IPv6 news

  • From: Michael.Dillon
  • Date: Tue Oct 18 05:49:56 2005

> I reread this and still don't see how geographical ip address allocation
> is going to work if typical customer connections are network-centric
> and any large area has number of competitive access providers

Inside the city, you see lots of longer prefixes from that city's
netblock. Outside the city you see only the single aggregate prefix.

> The only way I see that geographical addressing might have some
advantage
> is if the area is covered by large monopoly that connects everyone else
> there

Monopoly? Not necessary. Yes, you need to have universal exchange
of local traffic in the city but that can happen through private
interconnects and multiple exchange points. No need for a monopoly.
The major change is that providers which participate in geotopological
addressing would have to interconnect with *ALL* other such providers
in that city. This would mean more use of public exchange points.

Also, I think it makes sense to have a second regional layer
of aggregation where you group neighboring cities that have
a lot of traffic with each other. I think this would result
in no more than 20-30 regions per continent.

--Michael Dillon