Re: UUNET connectivity in Minneapolis, MN

  • From: Bob Vaughan
  • Date: Fri Aug 12 22:26:26 2005

> During the Northridge earthquake (the one during the
> world series in sf.ba.ca.us) there was a BUNCH of
> disruption of the infrastructure, drives were shaken
> til they crashed, power wend down all over the area,
> Telco lines got knocked down, underground vaults got
> flooded, and data centers went off line.

Sorry.. wrong earthquake..

The Loma Prieta quake of 10/17/1989 occured during the opening
game of the World Series, featuring the San Francisco Giants,
and the Oakland Athletics in an all SF Bay area series.
The epicenter was in the Santa Cruz mountains, in the vicinity of
Mt Loma Prieta. Commercial power was lost to much of the bay area.

The Northridge quake occured on 1/17/1994, in southern California.
The epicenter was located in the San Fernando Valley, 20 miles NW of
Los Angeles.

As far as I recall, network disruption was minimal following the
Northridge quake, with a few sites offline {due to a machine room flooding
at UCLA?}

Bob Vaughan  | techie @ tantivy.net 		  |
	     | P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --