Re: ISP phishing

  • From: Robert Boyle
  • Date: Tue Jun 28 22:49:07 2005

At 10:30 PM 6/28/2005, Paul Wouters wrote:
        I applaud his move, and wish more groups did the same.
It would have been better if he had just installed SPF, and published DNS
records for his own domain, and rejected them based on that. Then other
people receiving forged emails with his domain would also be able to just
drop those emails.
Of course we already do this! Dig before you speak. :) However, we do not filter our customer's email unless they turn on filtering. We tag everything including SPF failures and customers can turn on rejection based solely on SPF failures if they want, but that still doesn't help our users who haven't turned on filtering. Our "admin|root|support|etc" filter previously mentioned in this thread does. We do not have any ethical problem filtering those messages since they are impersonating us. We wouldn't presume that any other mail should be filtered unless a customer requested for us to do so.

-Robert

http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Well done is better than well said." - Benjamin Franklin