Re: [NON-OPERATIONAL] Re: NANOG Evolution

  • From: Tony Li
  • Date: Tue Jun 21 01:23:33 2005

>>Members aren't looking for Operator experience (sic). Members are
>>looking for talks that do not suck.
>
> (sic) is a matter of interpretation, and, you already said the talks
> suck. The PC said they don't get enough talks. Some of the talks are
> going to be filler.

Put more constructively, the PC is in need of talks that are

	relevant
	intelligent
	technical, or techy enough to be of interest
	not too long
	not too short
	not too obscure
	not marketing blather
	not vendor pitches (but *neutral* "white papers" might be ok)

It is true that the PC will not get enough of these if it continues to
rely on contributions.  Which of us *wants* to present?  Public speaking
is the number one common fear, bar none.  Part of the job of the PC,
therefore, will be to solicit, cajole, bribe, lie, cheat, steal, extort,
embarass, flatter, and guilt people into making presentations.  Thus, it
would appear that prime qualifications are:

a) ability to distinguish presentations of the class above, and
b) ability to convince such presentations to come to the podium

One voter's opinion,
Tony

p.s. No, I'm not a candidate.  If elected, I will not serve.  ;-)