Re: Underscores in host names

  • From: Roger Marquis
  • Date: Thu May 19 11:54:22 2005

On Thu, 19 May 2005 [email protected] wrote:
On Thu, 19 May 2005 08:04:31 PDT, Roger Marquis said:
Laurent Frigault wrote:
gethostbyaddr (and may be other functions) will return NULL under at
least FreeBSD/NetBSD for ANY PTR having the "_" character.
As it should.  I wish it would also return a null for hostnames
containing sequential non-alphanumerics (--, ---, __, ___, ...).
Don't like RFC3490 and its xn-- hostnames? ;)
Most definitely not, and if this were 1985 I'd be {rf}commenting on
the inadvisability of such hostnames, and those beginning or ending
with "-", TLD names shorter than 2 or longer than 4 characters,
spaces in hostnames, [^a-z0-9\\-\\.], and other such marginally
useful but infinitely problematic features.

There is real value in KIS, and not just from the perspective of a
security-minded coder...

--
Roger Marquis
Roble Systems Consulting