Re: what will all you who work for private isp's be doing in a few years?

  • From: Ross Hosman
  • Date: Thu May 12 14:23:02 2005
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys

Not pointing any fingers but many of you think these
small ISP's are just going to die off instead of
adapt. Wireless is becoming a better and more reliable
technology that in the future will be able to provide
faster service then FTTH. I know of atleast one small
ISP in Michigan that went from dial-up to deploying
wireless. With WiMAX coming out I think you will see a
number of smaller ISPs switching to it as a service.
It is also much cheaper to deploy a wireless network.

Me personally, I think wireless is the future for
residential internet/tv/phone.

Ross Hosman
Charter Communcations

> --- Steve Sobol <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Fred Heutte wrote:
> > > (1) There will be a market for independent ISPs
> as
> > long CLECs
> >
> > I think a more appropriate term would be ALEC
> >
> > (anti-competitive local exchange carrier)
> >
> > ...That having been said, the problem with the
> small
> > guys providing access is
> > they can't generally achieve the economies of
> scale
> > that allow them to compete
> > with the big guys.
> >
> > I'm on a Charter cablemodem, 3mbps down x 256kbps
> > up, $39.95/month. Verizon is
> > building out FTTH in this area and they're going
> > be offering 5x2 for $39.95
> > or 10x5 for $49.95, IIRC. Those are all
> residential
> > prices, but Charter's
> > actually pretty competitive on business rates too.
> >
> > And yes, there are people who value service over
> > price, but the price
> > differential is only going to get worse.
> >

> > --
> > JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA -
> http://JustThe.net/
> > - 888.480.4NET (4638)
> > Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge /
> > [email protected] / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
> >
> > "The wisdom of a fool won't set you free"
> >      --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

Ross Hosman
[email protected]