Re: Schneier: ISPs should bear security burden

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Thu Apr 28 00:56:49 2005

What's rDNS for the ip address(es) assigned to you?

I don't know about him, but, on my ADSL connection, it is controlled
by my nameservers:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
10.159.192.in-addr.arpa. 86400  IN      NS      ns.rop.edu.
10.159.192.in-addr.arpa. 86400  IN      NS      ns.delong.sj.ca.us.

I'm not highly in favor of blocking
traffic from broadband users
and killing the end-to-end principle that makes the Internet work,
I'm not in favor of mindless blocking of entire netblocks that may
contain stuff that should not be blocked, but broadband providers are
notorious for (e.g.) lumping residential customers that can be blocked,
with no collateral damage, in the same netblocks as business customers
who need to run Internet facing servers, and (e.g.) not providing an easy
way to differentiate between the two classes of customer in the first
place.
Who are you to decide that there is no damage to blocking residential
customers?  I'm a residential customer, but, I have a number of
servers running, and, a port 25 block would be very destructive to
the operation of my mailserver.  Why should an ISP decide what a residential
customer can or can't do with their internet connection.  (This is not
an advocation for abandoning TOS or allowing abuse.  I am talking about
within the confines of legitimate internet use, such as hosting a web
site (or even several), running nameservers, mail server(s), etc.)

Owen

--
If this message was not signed with gpg key 0FE2AA3D, it's probably
a forgery.