Re: Slashdot: Providers Ignoring DNS TTL?

  • From: James
  • Date: Sat Apr 23 00:31:30 2005

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 11:55:23PM -0400, Dean Anderson wrote:

> > > "Reality" for the last ten years has been that no one did either PPLB
> > > or TCP DNS. That reality is changing. It'll probably start to change
> > > faster, sooner. Then, users will start to notice the problems.
> >
> > People have been using TCP applications on anycast for at least a
> > decade, as I mentioned before.  Since DNS responses tend to be very
> > short lived TCP session, it seems to me that if it works for other
> > applications (e.g. HTTP), it should work for DNS.
>
> I don't know of any HTTP servers that do anycast.  But their failure to
> take account of PPLB doesn't change anything. IF they are anycasting under
> false assumptions, they'll have problems, too.

Remember that anycast configuration does not always require upper layer
applications to specifically support "anycast featureset."  It can be done
in a setup similar to those currently being done with stateless/DNS, where
it is dependent of how you want to route your packets to anycast listener
address.

Just make sure your routing between anycasting nodes and requesting node
can actually deliver a clear picture, and it shouldn't be much of an issue
for the majority :)

-J

--
James Jun