Re: Utah governor signs Net-porn bill

  • From: David Barak
  • Date: Thu Mar 24 08:49:58 2005
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys

--- William Allen Simpson <[email protected]>
wrote:

> So, Utah law _already_ means no links to Planned
> Parenthood et alia.

Planned Parenthood is quite alive and well in Utah.
Contraceptives are freely advertised on TV and given
out on campus at the U of U.  All of the other stuff
you're seeing is either:

1) unenforcable old blue laws similar to how Native
Americans need to be escorted by police in
Massachussetts (i.e. they never got around to fixing
old bad law, but noone cares anymore)

2) political posturing by elected officials (also
relatively common in other parts of the world.  c.f.
US Congress, both parties)

3) Something which, while it COULD be extended to mean
something ridiculous, will NOT be.

For crying out loud - this is UTAH, not the moon: the
people there are just like people everywhere.  Yeah,
they tend to be a bit more socially conservative than
the libertarian-leaning NANOG membership is used to,
but it's not like they've got 2 heads and three arms -
if you prick them, they'll bleed...

so while I agree that this is a goofy law which was
poorly written - there IS a demand for this type of
service, and we'll see how it plays out.

-David Barak
need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise!
http://www.listentothefranchise.com