Re: Utah governor signs Net-porn bill

  • From: Michael.Dillon
  • Date: Thu Mar 24 09:31:24 2005

> so while I agree that this is a goofy law which was
> poorly written - there IS a demand for this type of
> service, and we'll see how it plays out.

Right!
Not everyone needs or wants plain old raw Internet
access. That is a commodity service which appealed
to the early adopters who were technically literate.
But in order to make the Internet into a true
universal utility which is connected everywhere,
all of the time, we need to develop some value-added
services in addition to the plain-jane commodity
access.

So far most product innovation has come about by
applying different types of technology to the
last mile access and to the network core. Or by
subtracting from the standard bundle of services
offered by ISPs in 1995.

Now it is time for people to look at adding to the
plain-jane access service. One way to do this is
by supplying managed (or partially managed) boxes
to subscribers in their premises. SIP-based telephony
services are an example of this. Most SIP-phones are
partially managed boxes that call home when they are
reset to download some config info. Most ISPs offer
managed access or VPN services where the CPE router
and/or firewall is managed by the ISP.

Shifting the managed service into the ISP premises rather
than the customer premises is not a big deal from the
technology point of view and enables an ISP to provide
more solid guarantees of security to the customer. This
is especially appealing to home users since the home
environment is generally less secure than a corporate
environment where IT rooms and telecom closets are
locked and access-controlled.

The Internet services business has gotten rather
too conservative lately. Where is the innovation gone?
Why are so many people in the business satisfied to
rest on their laurels and point to their accomplishments
back in the 90's? I would have thought, that tough
economic times would spur people to greater innovation
not less.

--Michael Dillon