Re: Why do so few mail providers support Port 587?

  • From: Robert L Mathews
  • Date: Sat Feb 26 17:25:06 2005

Paul Vixie wrote:

well, in sbc-dsl-land, port 25 and port 587 are blocked, but port 26 gets
through.  it seems bizarre that port 587 would ever be blocked
I suspect that was some kind of temporary aberration. SBC started blocking port 25 in the last two months, and during that time I've helped at least a dozen of our customers using SBC DSL switch their mail program settings from port 25 to port 587, with no trouble -- it worked in every case.

I bet it works if you try it again now (as you say, blocking port 587 makes no sense).

--
Robert L Mathews