Re: The entire mechanism is Wrong!

  • From: Steve Sobol
  • Date: Sun Jan 16 22:21:10 2005

Adrian Chadd wrote:

I agree they should have 24/7 support.

Just remember that, as an example, Melbourne IT has probably two orders
of magnitude more clients than you. A 24x7 pager service would attract
a /lot/ of "Emergencies" and as such they'd have to consider running
at least a muppet level call service outside of hours to filter
"emergency" requests away from the normal signup procedures and over
to the People Who Really Fix Things.
I'm not saying MIT needs 24x7 support, I am saying they need on-call staff. One person might be enough; perhaps more than one may be needed. (A couple people called me on this point offlist and I felt the need to clarify my opinion.)

I resell GoDaddy and they do have 24x7 customer support, but I don't think that's necessary to properly run a registrar. Just have X people available to deal with emergency situations. X will vary based on the size of the customer base.

Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / [email protected] / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)