Re: anycast roots

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Wed Nov 17 14:25:44 2004

> > as far as i know, the root-servers.org web site is 100% accurate,
>
> Following the recent discussion about "anycast jitter" with
> j.root-servers.net, I believe one information is missing: wether the
> node is global or local (BGP NO_EXPORT).

note that BGP NO_EXPORT is but one of several ways to make a "local node".
for many of our peers, "keep this to one's own network and one's customers"
is the default, and they have to strip off our NO_EXPORT community in order
to achieve this.  but your question is understandable on that modified basis.

> It is not easy to find by itself (you have to do a lot of traceroutes)
> so, if you have access to this information, it would be quite useful.

the www.root-servers.org main page is pretty crowded already.  adding an
indication of global-vs-local for each city could be pretty distracting;
especially since those rootops who anycast usually have their own separate
web site describing their efforts, which are more easily kept up to date
and which, being root-specific, are generally less crowded.

some rootops even prefer to keep this level of detail out of the public eye,
possibly because it's the kind of thing that makes ddos attacks easier to
plan.  speaking for f-root only, we don't mind that the world knows which
of our anycast nodes are global and which are local.  but the other rootops
will have to speak for themselves, and they will probably not choose to use
the www.root-servers.org web page to signal this level of detail.  (remember,
these are the kinds of details that can change every week or every day.)
--
Paul Vixie