Re: who gets a /32 [Re: IPV6 renumbering painless?]

  • From: Jeroen Massar
  • Date: Mon Nov 15 12:15:49 2004

http://www.sixxs.net/misc/traffic/

> 	I've historically found that there are a number of FTP
> sites that get congested on IPv4 but are accessable via IPv6 (only).

There are, as demonstrated from above graphs, quite a number of people
who also found out that some news server has this feature ;)

> 	I have a /48 at home, but am only using about 4 /64's on my various
> subnets (servers, wireless, office lan, etc..)

I guess most people, who are a bit into computers, at least have 2
LAN's: wired and wireless. Some, like Jared apparently, even make
seperate subnets per room. Though 2 is quite common. With the future in
mind though (read: toys toys toys), I see it very likely that the amount
of subnets will grow at a large rate.

> 	I'd say that about 1-5% of my home bandwidth usage (on average)
> is IPv6 only.  I'm sure it's going up with the number of sites doing
> v4+v6 (eg: roots) increasing.

I guess my usage is somewhat the same when I was still really actively
using that network.

The only solution to getting more IPv6 content: crontab that request
message and spam Google and others to provide IPv6 capable servers (and
crawlers). Doom3 doesn't do IPv6 either yet unfortunately (afaik)... I
still wonder, it is even easier to use getaddrinfo()* to write socket
related code, thus what is the problem of doing IPv6 in software?
(Except for the lame excuse of having 'latency' when the stuff is not
configured correctly and you have to time out before connecting)

Greets,
 Jeroen

* = http://gsyc.escet.urjc.es/~eva/IPv6-web/ipv6.html
    http://www.kame.net/newsletter/19980604/